Monday, April 14, 2008

Why We're Getting a Boy

Regarding the question so many of you have asked us--why we'll be getting a baby boy from Korea--here's what our caseworker had to say:

"1) When Koreans adopt domestically, they usually ask for a girl, so there are probably more boys than girls available for international adoption.

2) Our families can request a girl if they already have a boy, or they can leave it up to chance. Most request a girl, so the girls seem to be "saved" for families who already have a boy. I'm very proud that Catholic Charities does not let our childless couples specify gender for any country because most adoptive couples would request a girl, then the boys would be skipped over, and then they would become "too old" for many families to consider adopting them."

So that's the explanation, directly from Margie herself!

On a completely unrelated note, I was poking around on the web at lunchtime today and found this website, www.adoptionfamily.org. On it were these quotes, which kinda choked me up but are so beautiful nonetheless! (You know me and my quotes!)

My Adopted Child....
I did not plant you... true.
But when the alternate prayers
for sun and rain are counted,
when the pain of weeding
And the pride of watching are through,
I will hold you high.
A shining sheaf
Above the thousand seeds grown wild,
Not my planting, but, by heaven
My harvest. My own child!
--Unknown Author

Tomorrow Is a Gift
Many things we need can wait
The child cannot
Now is the time his bones are being formed
His blood is being made
His mind is being developed
To him we cannot say tomorrow
His name is today.
--Gabriella Minstral

We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands.
--Kristi Larson

No comments: