Friday, April 17, 2009

My Friend Debbie's Referral From Russia!!!

Whoo-hoo! A very close new friend of mine, Debbie, just got her referral yesterday. She's been matched with an adorable little 14-month-old boy named Alexander from Russia. She's a single mom who lives in nearby Silver Spring...I've already told her I can babysit. She and her mom leave for Russia probably within the next week. She and her her mom are the ones I rode to Baltimore with, just last week, to attend the parent support group meeting (Jeff was out of town), and we had such fun! They are two amazing, fun women!

Russia is different from Korea, in that once you get a referral ("match"), you must travel to Russia to accept the referral in person. You must stay there for, I think, one week, and then you have to come back to the states, wait for the paperwork to go through (a few months I think), and then they call you back to the country when your child is ready to be picked up and the adoption will be finalized in country. It will probably be hard for Debbie to meet him, get to know him, and then have to leave him until everything is finalized.

Korea is totally different: We'll get the referral and be able to accept it over the phone (our caseworker handles the direct contact with the Korean officials), after we review the child's file and run the medical file by a doctor to make sure he is healthy and there are no hidden medical issues.

Those kids from Russia are adorable, and I cannot wait to meet Debbie's son, who she's decided to name Lucas Alexander. What a beautiful ring that has to it, huh? I'm ecstatic for my friend and just had to share the good news with all! Our time is a'comin'! That being said, I have to admit, the wait is getting a lot harder, but it helps having so many friends and family members supporting us and keeping us busy with fun stuff while we wait for our dream to finally come true.

It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend here and in PA (which is where I'm headed tonight, for a much-needed visit with my nieces, sister, and parents). Enjoy the spring--it's turning out to be filled with beautiful little blessings indeed!

No comments: