Thursday, July 9, 2009

No News Yet (But Getting Close!)

Hello, everyone. Wow, the last time I wrote was June 12. Sorry for the long gap. But no worries: Not much has happened, really. The biggest news to date is the fact that our dear friends Margaret and Tal got their referral a few weeks ago and are ready to welcome adorable little Michael to their family. Margaret tells me that they will be traveling to Korea sometime in the fall. They were supposed to make their big announcement at the parent support group meeting Tuesday night (and I was anxious to do a check-in, to see who, if anyone, might still be ahead of us), but it got cancelled b/c Catholic Charities was without power and phone, so they had to vacate. Oh, well. Next month!

Backing up: Margaret and Tal are close friends from our parent support group--and the only other couple in our playgroup who doesn't yet have their kids! So we tend to hang out with them a lot at playgroup, as neither couple has a kid to run after yet! They were the couple who we were kind of using as our "marker" or "landmark" or "milestone" (whatever you want to call it), because their paperwork was officially in Korea in March, just 3 months before ours was (our magic month is June). So, only a 3-month difference. I kept telling myself, all this time, "When Margaret and Tal get their referral, I know we'll be close...maybe even at the top of the list!" So their good news is OUR good news, too!

We are fairly certain that we are indeed "next," so keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming! We absolutely cannot wait to be matched with our little one and begin our life together. I think it's going to become so much more real once we get that referral and we have a photo to constantly look at (parents tell me that once you get that photo in your hand, you are looking at it a gazillion times a day and dreaming of the day when he will be in your arms) and background information on him. Right now, he's kind of "conceptual"--we know he's out there but we have no idea what he looks like, what region he comes from, etc. And I'm a visual person; I like to visualize, to have a person's face in my head. So I think, for me at least, our journey will become SO much more real once we learn who he is, what he looks like, his Korean name, etc. Then we can really start letting loose and not holding back our excitement. I do think that there is a level of "holding back" that is happening because we are afraid we'll jinx the journey, ya know?

My friend Debbie is getting ready to soon travel to Russia yet again (she already did the first trip and met her son Lucas at the orphanage), this time to stay for a longer time and to BRING HIM HOME! Not sure when it's going to happen but it's definitely going to be soon. She and I are taking an infant/adult CPR course this weekend at Holy Cross Hospital. It's a double-benefit for me, because with my yoga teaching, I really SHOULD be certified in CPR and can't believe I've waited this long to do it.

What else? Nothing really, that I can think of. Life is plodding along, ever busy, ever filled with activity. We were in NJ for the Fourth, visiting my brother. He lives in a lake community, so we watched fireworks on the lake shore there; it was the quinessential "small-town celebration" and was wonderful: Brought back good memories of growing up in my own small town in PA and going to the fireworks show at good ole Dunmore High (my alma mater).

We are heading to the beach next weekend, for a week, with my entire family (parents, siblings, spouses, and kids). We are staying in South Bethany (DE), in a large house that is literally spitting distance from the beach. We walk about 200 feet to the walkway that takes you to the beach! I can't wait to just chill out and spend some good quality time with my nieces Jessica, Anna, and Ava. Jessica is so excited; she keeps on saying "Aunt Kath, we're gonna be together for a WHOLE WEEK!" She's my little pal. We've started writing letters to each other back and forth via snail mail, so she can practice reading and writing her letters. She just loves getting letters that are addressed only to her...it's the cutest thing.

So, that's the latest update. Continue to check back on my blog regularly, because I really DO think this match is going to happen within the next two months or so!

Love and light to all...
Kathleen

No comments: